Former children’s home manager extradited from Malta accused of abusing 11 kids
Bryan Davies, 70, an ex-Ystrad Hall, Llangollen deputy principal, appeared before Llandudno magistrates and was remanded in custody
A former deputy principal of a children’s home, arrested in Malta last week, has appeared in court accused of the sexual abuse of 11 children.
During a five-minute hearing Bryan Davies, 70, was remanded in custody by a district judge at Llandudno, North Wales.
He will appear at Mold Crown Court on September 8.
Davies could offer no address in Britain.
Officers from the National Crime Agency’s Operation Pallial probe into allegations of historic abuse in North Wales children’s homes was extradited to the UK from the Mediterranean Island last week.
Davies appeared in custody at Llandudno.
No pleas were indicated.
The former deputy principal of Ystrad Hall at Llangollen had 38 offences listed against him. They alleged indecent assault and serious sexual assaults on boys in the 1970s, six offences of making indecent images of children in Sussex between 2007 and 2013, and three of inciting sexual activity in 2011 and 2012.
Prosecutor Karen Mullin sought a remand in custody.
Defence barrister Hannah Horton made no application for bail.
The Englishman, today aged 70, was arrested in Gozo on the strength of a European Arrest Warrant.
Operation Pallial is an independent National Crime Agency investigation into recent allegations of past abuse in the care system in North Wales.
A British man has consented to being returned to the United Kingdom to face charges relating to dozens of offences relating to the sexual exploitation of children and child pornography, after being arrested in Gozo.
70-year-old Welshman Bryan Davies was arrested by Maltese police after a European Arrest Warrant was issued for his arrest.
Davies is wanted by the police in the United Kingdom, where he will be charged with 38 offences relating to sexual exploitation of children and child pornography. They include 29 contact offences which allegedly occurred between 1976 and 1978.
The arrest was requested by the UK’s National Crime Agency, who in 2016 set up an independent investigation – Operation Pallial – to investigate allegations of past abuse in the care system in North Wales.
Davies appeared before magistrate Donatella Frendo Dimech, still wearing the loose checked shirt and baggy shorts he was wearing at the time of his arrest. Bald and with a white goatee, leaning on a cane in the dock, the septuagenarian gave his address as Munxar, Gozo.
Police Inspector Mario Cuschieri from the police International Relations Unit exhibited a number of documents relating to the extradition request by the UK, together with the European Arrest Warrant.
Inspector John Spiteri from the Vice Squad told the court that the police had arrested Davis at home and had informed him of his rights at law.
A number of items were taken from his home including a PC, mobile phones and other electronics.
A number of documents which the inspector described as “relevant to the competent authorities in the UK” were also retrieved from the Munxar property.
The court, having seen the documents exhibited by the prosecution and having heard the accused confirm that he is the same person mentioned in the warrant, explained to the man what the warrant was for.
“You are being sought for prosecution in the United Kingdom for the offences of buggery, indecent assault upon a male person, making indecent images of children, causing or inciting a child to participate in sexual activity.”
Lawyer Noel Bartolo, appointed as legal aid to the accused, said that Davis “was aware but was contesting the charges.”
The magistrate explained that the court, as a court of committal, could not delve into the merits of the case, its role being to inform the requested person of the contents of the warrant and ask whether he consented to his return. Davies reaffirmed that he gave his consent to be returned to the UK to face charges there.
Davies also waived any right to appeal or institute any Constitutional proceedings over his extradition, whilst maintaining that he was “not admitting to the charges listed in the EAW in any way.”
Detectives investigating hundreds of allegations of sexual abuse in the north Wales care system have identified 37 potential suspects.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) said 28 care homes were under investigation as part of the inquiry ordered by David Cameron in November 2012.
In an update on the investigation, codenamed Operation Pallial, police said 255 people had reported one or more allegation involving offences against children as young as six between 1953 and 1995.
Police have been given the names or partial names of 120 potential offenders, and have formally identified 37 suspects.
“The number of people coming forward to report historical allegations of abuse in the care system in north Wales continues to increase,” said Ian Mulcahey, the senior investigating officer.