Nicholas Gully – Rottingdean

A SEX THERAPIST has been found guilty of raping a 14-year-old schoolboy.

Nicholas Gully.JPG-pwrt1

Nicholas Gully raped the boy in a cubicle of the mens’ toilets at the King Alfred leisure centre in Hove on January 29, and was convicted this afternoon after a six-day trial.

A jury at Lewes Crown Court found Gully, 48, of Eley Crescent, Rottingdean, guilty of rape and two counts of sexual assault.

The self-employed psychotherapist worked from offices in Hove and London.

Detective Sergeant Julie Greenwood said: “Gully deliberately targeted this young boy who he spotted in the reception area where the boy was waiting for his mother, he followed him and subjected him to the most degrading assault.

Thanks to swift reporting by the boy the same afternoon, and our enquiries which with the help of CCTV quickly identified Gully, he was soon arrested and picked out in an identification procedure. Other evidence also connected him to the offence.

“Gully initially refused to comment in our interviews with him. He subsequently admitted the encounter, but pleaded not guilty, claiming in court that it was consensual, and that he reasonably believed the boy was 16 or over, despite not having any evidence to support that belief.

“The jury clearly saw through this account.

“We very much admire the courage of the victim in giving evidence in court. We also acknowledge the readiness of three of his friends, who engaged in text-exchanges with him immediately after the crime and encouraged him to contact the police, they were fully prepared to give evidence in court but were not required.

The boy’s mother said: “The last six months have been a horrendous time for my son and my entire family. What started off as a perfectly normal Sunday, with my son attending the leisure centre having newly acquired membership on turning 14, turned into every parent’s worst nightmare.

“The unimaginable events that took place that day with him being deliberately targeted and attacked by a serious sexual predator whilst waiting for a lift home from me have had devastating consequences for my son and close family.

“He has had to come to terms with what has happened to him and also deal with the police investigation and trial. What has stood out to us is his outstanding bravery in coming forward immediately after the incident and the incredible support of his close friends, and the professional services involved including the police and Survivors Network workers.

“I believe the perpetrator to be a serious sexual predator who if he had not been detained would have been an ongoing serious threat to young people. We are so relieved that the trial is now over and are looking forward to moving forward with our lives.”

Gully is remanded in custody until he is sentenced on September 6.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s