Businessman jailed for more than 20 years for catalogue of child sex offences.
A 63-year-old businessman has been jailed for more than 20 years after a jury found him guilty of raping a girl while he was living in Craven.
Kenneth Stares had denied a series of charges relating to the main complainant, as well as another young girl and boy.
But he was found guilty on Monday of 12 of the 15 allegations following a trial at Bradford Crown Court.
Stares, who had no previous convictions, was found guilty of three rape offences committed between 1996 and 2008, as well as further allegations of sexual assault, indecent assault and sexual activity with a child.
In relation to the boy, he was convicted of taking an indecent photograph.
None of the three complainants can be identified for legal reasons, but in victim impact statements, which were read to the judge by the prosecutor, the two women described how Stares’ offending had affected them in subsequent years.
The rape victim described how she had suffered panic attacks and depression and had felt like no-one believed her.
“I won’t let the man who stands before you today ruin my life,” she said.
The other female complainant said she had tried to push the abuse out of her mind when she was a child and tried to live a normal life.
“More recently, I’ve had trouble sleeping and find myself becoming anxious,” she said.
Barrister Tom Storey, for Stares, said his client had been a successful businessman, who had still been working up to the start of his trial.
“It’s clear the time he spends in custody is not going to be easy for him,” he added.
Today Judge Neil Davey QC decided Stares should be sentenced as a dangerous offender.
He said: “Kenneth Stares, you are now 63 and you have no previous convictions, but that apparently clean record masks an appalling catalogue of sexual offences against three children.
“The jury unanimously found you guilty of these offences, and by reason of their seriousness, a substantial sentence of imprisonment must be imposed.”
The judge said he had decided Stares should be dealt with as a dangerous offender bearing in mind the “extent and indiscriminate” nature of his offences committed against children of both sexes.
“In my view, the risk that you pose continues, and I shall therefore pass an extended sentence,” the judge added.
Stares, who now lives Egroms Lane, Withernsea, was sentenced to 21 years in jail, but the judge also imposed an additional licence period of one year.
He will have to serve at least 14 years behind bars before the Parole Board considers whether it is safe to release him.
Following his release, Stares will have to register with the police as a sex offender for the rest of his life.