Robin Maughan: Other victims of child sex abuser urged to come forward.
Police are urging any other victims of disgraced singer and entertainer Robin Maughan to come forward.
Maughan, who is serving 12 years in jail for a catalogue of abuse against young children, admitted 18 more sex offences today.
Speaking after the hearing, Detective Constable Rob Waddington, who led the investigation, said: “These new charges brought against Maughan are a testament to the hard work of the team to bring justice for all those abused by Maughan over many years.
“As a result of the publicity surrounding his previous conviction, more victims came forward, and we worked to gather evidence to be able to put these charges to him.
“I want to reassure the public that just because a defendant may already be in prison, we take all reports seriously and will investigate all allegations.
“We know there are more victims out there who were abused by Maughan and who haven’t been able to come forward for whatever reason, and I would urge them to make contact with us. There are specially trained officers who can offer support and guidance through the whole process.”
His call was backed by child protection charity the NSPCC.
A spokesman said: “Maughan is clearly a dangerous predator who has been carrying out the most appalling abuse for a number of years.
“His sickening catalogue of crimes will have had a devastating impact on his victims.
“And it is vital he now receives treatment in prison to lessen any further risk he poses to children.
“Police have suggested there may be even more victims, and we would urge them to speak out.”
Following yesterday’s guilty pleas, Maughan, who is well-known in the Market Harborough area for his tribute act to Four Seasons singer Frankie Valli, now faces further time in jail.
The latest offences, relating to two girls and five boys, followed a police appeal asking for any other victims of Maughan to come forward when he was imprisoned in March last year.
Maughan (36), formerly of Western Avenue, Market Harborough, appeared at Leicester Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday) via a live video link from the city’s Welford Road prison, where he is serving his sentence.
He pleaded guilty to the following offences, committed between November 2000 and February 2015:
Two counts of indecently assaulting 14-year-old girls.
Seven counts of causing or inciting boys, aged between 13 and 14, to engage in sexual activity.
Five counts of sexual activity with boys under 16.
One offence of sexually assaulting a boy under 16.
One count of causing a child aged between 13 and 14 to watch a sexual act.
Taking 81 indecent photographs of children, in category B, and taking 140 indecent images of youngsters, in category C. Indecent images are graded A, B and C. A is the most serious.
Judge Nicholas Dean QC adjourned sentencing to a date next month.
Maughan was jailed for 14 years and 10 months last year for 21 sex offences, including making covert video films of two boys aged 10 and 12 in various stages of undress and encouraging other youngsters to send him indecent images of themselves.
The sentence was reduced on appeal to 12 years.
The mother of one of the abused children said in a victim impact statement read out at the last sentencing hearing: “He was a pillar of the community and classed as a local celebrity.”
She said that when she found out her daughter had been abused: “I was angry and upset and it made me fill ill.”
Her daughter said afterwards: “I want to forget it ever happened, deep down I knew I had to report it to the police; it was killing me inside.”
A boy Maughan has already been sentenced for abusing went on to attempt suicide twice.
He said in a victim impact statement that Maughan regularly had sex with him and at one stage he fell in love with his abuser, but at other times felt he was being treated as a “sex toy”.
At the sentencing hearing last year, the court heard that Maughan’s guilty pleas had spared his victims from giving evidence and he was genuinely remorseful for the damage and suffering he had inflicted on the children.
He was said to suffer from an unstable personality disorder and described as immature.
Maughan’s advocate told the sentencing judge Maughan was willing to undergo specialist treatment while in prison.
In 2014, Maughan performed at the Harborough Christmas lights ceremony in front of 3,000 spectators.
Anyone who wants to come forward can call the police on 101, or the NSPCC helpline 24 hours a day on 0808 800 5000.