George Anderson – No Fixed Abode, Devon

Devon hospital nurse jailed for 19 years for sickening rape of three-year-old girl

April 11, 2017

Devon hospital nurse jailed for sickening rape of three-year-old girl


George Anderson jailed for rap 

A former nurse at Torbay Hospital has been jailed for 19 years and four months for the rape of a three-year-old child. George Anderson, 27, told the little girl he was a doctor before subjecting her to sickening abuse. He filmed himself violating the child in what the judge at Exeter Crown Court described as ‘inexplicable actions of the utmost depravity’.

Anderson was employed as a psychiatric nurse at Torbay Hospital at the time he committed the offences in November last year, although the abuse was not in any way connected to his work there and took place in a bedroom at a private house.

The court was read a moving statement from the victim’s mum who said her life had been destroyed by the incident and left her feeling like ‘the worst mother in the world’.

She said: “The rape of my three-year-old daughter has affected every aspect of my life and I am convinced that it will affect me for the rest of my life too.”

She said she could ‘not bear to look at her’ daughter after the incident.

“I love my baby unconditionally, however, I now cannot bear to dress or undress her or bath her and ask her to do these things herself.”

“It feels like the innocence that she once had has now been lost. I am really worried that every time a mobile phone or camera is now pointed at her, it will stir memories within her. Every time I look at her I just imagine her tiny body going through trauma and being violated.”

She added: “I feel like I am being watched all the time. I feel like the worst parent in the world. I feel like I have failed my daughter.”

 Anderson, of no fixed abode, admitted six counts of taking indecent photos of a child; the rape of a child under 13; two counts of assaulting a child under 13 by penetration; and making indecent photos of a child.

The court was told that Anderson crept into the bedroom and assaulted the child. He later said he was drunk and had taken drugs and could not remember if he had raped her.

The day after the attack the child told her mum that someone had touched her, telling her he was a doctor, and filming it on his phone.

The child’s mother immediately called police and Anderson was later arrested. He admitted what he had done but couldn’t remember all the details. He said he had never done anything like it before.

“I’m a nurse,” he said. “I look after people.”

When police examined his phone they found he had filmed the abuse. The phone also contained eight still images of the extreme assaults.

The court was told the distressed victim had woken up during the course of the abuse but this had not deterred Anderson.

On his iPad police also found indecent images of other children aged between seven and 11. There were 287 category C indecent images of children; five category B; and six category A, with A the most serious.

In her statement the mother added: “I cannot get George Anderson out of my head. I do not want him there and want it to stop. I feel so much anger and hatred towards him that it scares me.”

Paul Dentith, defending, said Anderson had been depressed at the time. He was a man of previous good character who had suffered a difficult upbringing.

“Not a second goes by when I don’t feel sick to my stomach at what I’ve done,” Anderson said.

A probation report concluded the defendant was not a danger to the wider public within the terms of the offence.

The mother and other family members were in court to hear Mr Justice Dingemans sentence Anderson.

He said: “There is some evidence of a mental disorder linked to the offence in the sense that there is no other explanation.

“Your actions were inexplicable and of the utmost depravity. Despite the extreme youth of the victim she was aware of what was going on and reported it to her mother and that you had filmed it on your phone. The mother’s statement makes it clear there will be a lifelong effect from your offending.”

He sentenced Anderson to 19 years and four months, with a one-year extension. The defendant will serve half of his sentence behind bars before he is even considered for release by the probation service 

After the hearing joint investigating officers DC Anja James and Andy Gillette said: “This was an isolated incident. It has been a difficult case but we are very pleased with the result.”

Melanie Walker, chief executive of Devon Partnership NHS Trust said: “This case has come as a great shock to everyone.

“We have been supporting the police investigation since their concerns first came to light and we took immediate action to suspend Mr Anderson and to notify the Nursing and Midwifery Council. He has since been dismissed from our organisation.

“We have also conducted our own investigation and no evidence has emerged to suggest that people in his care were at risk during the period in which he was employed as a nurse.

“The ward on which he worked supports older people with mental health needs. It has an excellent reputation and a fantastic team of staff who are known for their compassion and dedication. They have been deeply shocked by this issue.”

The Devon Partnership Trusts said: “If anyone has a concern in relation to this case, we are asking them to call 01392 208653.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s