Ex Boys’ Brigade leader jailed for seven years for abusing kids.
David Wall and his wife Sue (facing away)
A former Boys’ Brigade leader has been jailed for seven years foe sexually abusing four children – driving his victims to a lifetime of depression, drug abuse and attempted suicide.
Married Church-goer David Wall, aged 53, abused his power in the Christian organisation to indecently assault three boys under his care.
The father-of-two went on to abuse a fourth child who was not a member of the Boys’ Brigade during two decades of offences.
He was finally brought to justice about 20 years after the last offence, following a retrial at Plymouth Crown Court.
Wall, who assaulted boys in tents and in his home during informal sleepovers, was known by members of his unit.as “Wandering Hands” Wall.
But boys were too afraid to complain until the first one contacted police until 2007.
David Wall was a leader in the Boy’s Brigade for many years.
One victim who only came forward last year said he had tried to take his own life.
He told the court in a statement: “I have had 18 years of pure hell”.
Jailing him for seven years, Judge Paul Darlow said: “This was a gross abuse of your position in a Christian caring organisation, the purpose of which was to promote moral values.”
He said his abuse had a “marked” impact on his victim.
He was finally brought to justice about two decades after the last offence, following a second trial.
A jury in a previous trial last October could not agree verdicts in a hearing involving three of the complainants.
Judge Paul Darlow jailed Wall for seven years.
The officer in the case said outside court that she was “thrilled” with the sentence.
DC Sarah Ronayne was praised for her three-year investigation.
Wall, now living in Ringwood in Hampshire, was found guilty of five counts of indecent assault against four of the boys.
The jury, after more than ten hours of deliberations, could not agree on a verdict on a sixth count involving a fifth complainant.
Judge Darlow discharged the jury from reaching a verdict in relation to that single count. He entered a not guilty verdict.
Wall went through two trials at Plymouth Crown Court
Ali Rafati, for Wall, said he continued to deny all of the offences and had stayed out of trouble since at least 2000.
He added: “There are things in those victim impact statements that may not be attributed on balance to David Wall.”
Mr Rafati said Wall has worked hard to run a charity for years in Hampshire, called Acts 4 Sharing, to help other people.
Wall showed little reaction as the unanimous guilty verdicts were read, shaking his head silently.
Boys’ Brigade leader David Wall allegedly abused members of his unit.
A former Boys’ Brigade leader accused of indecently assaulting three children more than 20 years ago is to face a retrial.
A jury last week was unable to reach a decision on the guilt or innocence of 52-year-old David Wall.
Wall went on trial at Plymouth Crown Court accused of abusing boys aged under 14 in Plymouth and London between 1981 and 1992.
He has pleaded not guilty to two counts of indecent assault against one child between 1981 and 1984. Wall, now living in Ringwood in Hampshire, denied the same offence against a second child in 1983.
He has also pleaded not guilty to indecent assault to a third boy between 1990 and 1992.
Wall allegedly touched the boys indecently during sleepovers at his city home and during a brigade trip to London.
A jury spent almost nine hours over three days deliberating but were unable to agree on their verdicts
Peter Coombe, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the case would go to a retrial.
Judge Ian Lawrie set a new date for a two-week hearing starting on May 8 next year.
Wall, who did not attend the latest hearing, is on bail.